About the Book
Leadership: Law, Policy, and Management
Deborah L. Rhode
2011. 575 pages. ISBN: 978-1-4548-0217-4. With Teacher's Manual.
About the Book
This is the first course book targeted for leadership courses in law schools, and one of the few accessible classroom- oriented texts for leadership in policy and management programs. It combines excerpts from leading books and articles, accessible background material, real-world problems and case histories, class exercises, and bibliographic and media references in areas of core leadership competencies.
- Author Deborah L. Rhode has edited three well respected books on leadership (two on women and one on moral leadership), has developed one of the first law school courses on leadership, and has written widely on leadership.
- Each chapter includes excerpts from foundational texts, engaging overviews of core concepts, discussion questions, class problems, and exercises. The problems and overviews draw on contemporary real world examples as well as leading research.
- Each major topic includes links to short segments from movies, documentaries, and news clips that can be shown in class.
- Sufficient materials are available so that professors who want to focus only on law, or policy, or management, can select readings and problems centered on those areas.
- Coverage includes key theoretical and empirical issues concerning the nature and qualities of leadership, the role of values, gender and diversity, philanthropy and public service, and core competencies (decision making, influence, communication, conflict resolution, crisis management, social and organizational change).
- Materials on moral leadership and scandals make for highly engaging discussion on “how the good go bad.”
- A separate chapter on leadership through film and literature provides background and questions for leading novels, short stories, and movies that profile leadership challenges in law, policy, and management.
- An extensive teachers’ manual provides comprehensive teaching notes and sample syllabi, as well as suggestions for further materials, case histories, and class exercises.