About the Book
Experiential Legal Writing: Analysis, Process, and Documents
Diana R. Donahoe
Georgetown Law Center
2011. 612 pages. ISBN: 978-0-7355-0963-4.
With Teacher’s Manual
About the Book
Legal Writing: Analysis, Process, and Documents discusses the documents first-year law students are introduced to, including memos, briefs, and client letters, as well as documents that are used in upper-class courses, such as scholarly writing and pleadings. Based on the online legal writing materials available at TeachingLaw.com, this straightforward text is designed to be used either as an aid to instructors and students working in the electronic environment of TeachingLaw.com or on its own as a primary or supplementary textbook.
Covering the entirety of the writing process, from analysis to citation form, this text
- Offers a clear instructional approach to legal analysis, legal documents, and the writing process, as well as to legal grammar and usage and to citation style for both ALWD and the Bluebook.
- Breaks down the analytical and writing processes into manageable tasks and provides students with strategies, examples, and exercises.
- Introduces each type of legal document with “Purpose, Audience, Scope, and View” bullet points, providing an at-a-glance overview.
- Employs maps, diagrams, text boxes, and tables to summarize material and provide visual interest.
- Includes multiple documents annotated with in-depth commentary to help students identify key parts, understand the arguments being made, and understand the strengths of each document.
- Provides abundant, thorough study aid materials
- Quick References and Checklists that reinforce and test students’ understanding of the material
- Quizzes and Self-Assessments that allow students and teachers to test students’ understanding of the material
- Exercises for use as in-class problem sets, out-of-class research projects, or memo and brief hypotheticals for the semester’s projects
- Provides an online version of the book that includes an idea bank, a school bank for sharing, and an integrated courseware program.
- Supplies instructors with teaching tips and answer keys in the Teacher’s Manual.