About the Book
A Practical Guide to Legal Writing and Legal Method 4E
A Practical Guide to Legal Writing and Legal Method, Fourth Edition is a successful, concise, readily accessible text that focuses the first-year law student on learning the basic principles of legal writing and analysis.
- Updated classic for a new generation of law students.
- Flexible presentation that presents the essential skills of legal reasoning and analysis in a straightforward manner that allows each teacheróand studentóto engage with the material in his or her own way.
- Legal reasoning and writing presented in a simple and understandable manner, as a series of accessible and simple guidelines.
- Focused exercises allow students to practice guidelines presented in the text.
- Presentation focused on learning the basic principles of legal method and applying these principles in legal writing. Legal research, basic grammar, and citation form are not covered.
- Extensive appendices offer useful examples.
- Accompanied by a Teacherís Manual that includes additional exercises, teaching suggestions, and advice for new teachers.
New to the Fourth Edition:
- A new chapter on opinion letters to clients that sets out rules for writing these letters.
- More extensive treatment of persuasive writing and how to structure an argument.
- New material on electronic communication, including email etiquette and ethics.
- Expnded coverage of organizing a legal memo.
- Examples and exercises specifically for classroom use for all new material.
- Sample opinion letter in the Appendixes.