About the Book
Insurance Law and Policy: Cases and Materials
University of Connecticut
2008. 792 pages. ISBN: 978-0-7355-6931-7. With Teacher's Manual.
About the Book
Insurance Law and Policy: Cases and Materials, Second Edition, authored by Tom Baker, a well-known and highly regarded figure in insurance law teaching and scholarship, is a contemporary text that stresses the big-picture role of insurance in American business and society. Thoroughly revised for currency in its second edition, this highly regarded casebook continues to be interesting and eminently teachable.
Among the features that made this casebook a success:
- Coverage that focuses on the big picture of federal-state regulatory roles in addition to the traditional insurance coverage topics
- Extensive use of statutory materials, presented through problems
- Manageable assignments, most structured to contain one major case followed by informative notes and questions and a problem
- Interesting, well-edited, up-to-date cases on topics such as the World Trade Center attack, Katrina, and the latest Supreme Court decisions on punitive damages and employment-based insurance benefits
- A comprehensive Teacherís Manual that contains an introductory essay for teachers new to insurance law; case briefs and suggestions for how to teach the cases; descriptions of the commercial backgrounds of selected cases; simple diagrams that help explain complex issues; and answers to questions and problems
Revised and completely updated, the Second Edition:
- Now organizes liability insurance coverage into separate units for different kinds of liability insurance and includes new units on auto and professional liability insurance
- Includes a new unit in the property insurance section on Katrina
Moves regulation to the back of the text, reflecting the judgment that students appreciate and understand that topic best once they have learned about insurance through the traditional insurance coverage topics
- Simplifies and updates ERISA materials and incorporates them into the units on health and disability insurance so that students learn about ERISA in context
- Incorporates extensive feedback from satisfied adopters of the first edition
Concise and problem-oriented, Insurance Law and Policy: Cases and Materials, Second Edition, is an excellent choice for those teaching insurance law for the first time as well as for seasoned teachers of insurance law.