About the Book
Legislative Process 4E
Abner J. Mikva
University of Chicago
Former Counsel to the President of the U.S.
Dean and Eric J. Schmertz Distinguished Professor of Public Law and Public Service
UNC School of Law
Samuel Ashe Distinguished Professor in Constitutional Law & Director, Center for Law and Government
2015. ISBN: 9781454835295. With Teacher's Manual.
About the Book
This casebook is about American legislative institutions and the processes they employ to consider and enact legislation.
Key Features of the New Edition
• Extraordinary authorship, including new co-author Gerhardt has advised congressional leaders and White House officials on numerous constitutional issues.
• New, unique, and updated material on important subjects in the legislative process, including, but not limited to:
• legislators’ conceptions of their duties;
• Congress’ relative institutional competency to interpret the Constitution;
• the President’s role in law-making (including vetoes and signing statements);
• voting rights (including in-depth updates on gerrymandering and campaign finance and electoral reform in the wake of the Supreme Court’s landmark decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, 558 U.S. 310 (2010));
• legislative ethics;
• statutory construction;
• the Senate confirmation process;
• and congressional rulemaking (including the filibuster and “nuclear option”)
Preface / Sample Chapters